The Adjacent Possible: Guidebook & Stories Of Artistic Transformation by Nancy Hillis, MD & Bruce Sawhill, PhD
Art predated the written word, and has been a source of story from the first prehistoric cave paintings onwards.
On the heels of Dr. Nancy Hillis’ bestselling, award winning book The Adjacent Possible: Evolve Your Art From Blank Canvas To Prolific Artist, this second book in The Adjacent Possible series animates the art of the possible with stories and artwork from 25 artists who are embracing the science of creativity in the unfolding of their art.
This Is The Science Of Creativity, The Art Of The Possible- A World Of Continuous Creation
This book will:
* connect scientific concepts with artistic practice to understand the nature of surprise
* illuminate the creative journey of discovery through artists’ stories
* build artistic confidence through reflections and creativity exercises
Twenty-five contemporary artists share stories of artistic transformations in their lives and art, and how they benefited personally from principles described in The Adjacent Possible.
Each artist forged their own path to a life of exuberant creativity. Their stories contain lessons and wisdom on how to find your own path to artistic confidence and your deepest self-expression.
25 artist’s stories and over 200 photographs of artwork animate concepts from the science of creativity- adjacent possible to inspire you.
You’ll learn about the ISEE Creativity Methodology- an overarching structure to guide you to:
* trust and believe in yourself as an artist
* move past fear of the blank canvas and past artist’s block
* start your art with a sense of joy and creative flow
* experiment deeply
* evolve as an artist
Extrapolating from the rich fields of creativity, psychology, mathematics, evolutionary biology, chemistry and art we’ll explore concepts that will enrich and deepen your art and your experience of creating it. Concepts such as:
* Zero To One
* The Magic Of Embracing Uncertainty
* Combinatorics & Re-Combinatorics
* Symmetries: Enantiomers & Inverses
* Phase Transitions & Artistic Breakthroughs
* Growth Mindset
* The Surprise Benefits Of Ugly Art
* The Hero’s/Heroine’s Journey
* The Paradoxical Language Of Mistakes
* What You’re Afraid Of Is Where The Juice Is
* The Spontaneous & The Considered
* The Paradoxical Power Of Constraint
* An Evolving Series
* Cultivating Surprise
* The Art Of The Possible
* The Adjacent Possible: Take Your Art Somewhere New
Sound intriguing? Would you like to know more?
Discover the adjacent possible in your art and life.
Ebook discounted in December and January.
Buy the book, and follow the author on social media:
Get This How To & Advice Book.
Learn more about the writer. Visit the Author’s Website.
Visit the Author’s Facebook Fan Page.
Visit the Author’s Twitter page.
Nancy Hillis, M.D. and Bruce Sawhill, Ph.D. enjoy conversations on art, science and the generation of novelty. Nancy is an artist, Stanford educated psychiatrist and author of best-selling books The Artist’s Journey®: Bold Strokes To Spark Creativity and The Adjacent Possible: Evolve Your Art. From Blank Canvas To Prolific Artist.
She helps artists transform their art from the inside out, believing that artistic creation has as much to do with psychology as with the medium of expression. She’s been featured in Inc and The New York Observer.
Bruce is a Stanford educated theoretical physicist, mathematician, composer and concert organist. He has swum solo across Lake Tahoe and is an open water swimmer in Monterey Bay. They live in Santa Cruz, California and enjoy hearing stories of college life from their daughter who studies Art History at St Andrews, Scotland. They also enjoy playing musical duets: Nancy on cello and Bruce on piano.